A Flash story

Someone posted a prompt on Absolute Write, so here's my take on it:

Write a flash fiction in less than 100 words that makes the reader feel something: happiness, sadness, fear, surprise, etc. Use the prompt as the first sentence.


     One light shone in the otherwise empty room.
     Then I saw you. My sister, in your white pajamas, your face gaunt and pale. I let out a breath as you turned to me and smiled. You knew. Tommy Sutton had been executed an hour before for his crime. You knew.
     "I gotta go, Danny," you said. You smiled one more time before disappearing with the light.
     I didn't forget. "Happy Birthday," I yelled, my words swallowed by the dark space.
     The following day would have been your seventh birthday. I just wanted you to know, that I loved you.


Comments

Popular Posts