Friday, July 6, 2007

About books...

I don't usually talk about books, because I don't consider myself an avid reader -- yes, that's awful to say because I'm a writer, for God's sake. But that's true -- I am such a slow reader that it takes me forever to finish a book. I love books -- I have stacks of them in my house -- but I just don't seem to get around to them. And when I start on a book, it will take me a long time to finish, and most often I don't. I have a very short attention span and that's why I prefer movies.

But I'm excited to talk about my online friend, Patricia Wood's new, debut novel, Lottery. The buzz on this book is amazing, and I expect to see it on the bestseller lists soon. What is great about the book, for me, is that it's a joyful read. Told from 30-year-old Perry's point of view, the voice is at once personable and engaging. You see, Perry is NOT retarded -- he has an IQ of 76. "76," he says. And from then on, you know you're in for a treat.

I finished the book in four days. It may sound awfully long, but believe me, if you know me at all, you'd know I've read it as fast as I could, and it must have been a good book. And it wasn't just because Pat's a friend. It was because the book really was that engaging.

Pat's book is on sale now. I had the privilege of getting a signed ARC from the author herself -- we exchanged our books, but of course, she got the worse deal in the trade.

Get a copy and tell me what you think.

5 comments:

ORION said...

That is SO not true - I did NOT get the worse end of the deal. I got a FINISHED BOOK that will NOT be given away thank you very much!!!!
Ray ( in case you haven't noticed) got an ARC with BOOBOOS in it!!!!! (That is a technical term for mistakes).
Thanks for the mention!

Manic Mom said...

Checking in to see what you thought of Lottery!

Ray said...

Perry is my friend.

M. G. Tarquini said...

Perry's my friend, too.

Joanne D. Kiggins said...

I've seen the buzz about Lottery. I guess I'm going to break down and buy a copy. Your description sounds intriguing.