The Problem of Being Creative

...or having ADHD, maybe?  ... is that I have so many interests and they all seem to pull at me at different times, sometimes all at once. It makes it really difficult to focus on a specific subject unless it is so fascinating (and I have so much to learn) that I'm totally absorbed in it.

That's part of the reason why it usually takes me so long to finish something, especially writing. Novel writing takes time, even if that's ALL you do. The problem is, while I'm working on my book, I want to write music and songs, take photographs, make videos, paint, act, and so on and so forth. My attention span is short enough, and I get bored easily. When I get bored with writing, for example, my mind naturally starts to drift to something else... say, opening my music program and start composing, or taking my camera out.

That's both a blessing and a curse. Blessing because I wouldn't trade my creativity and interests for anything. That's what makes life so interesting to me; there is always something to see, to hear, to touch, to observe, to capture. At the same time, it's a curse as far as my productivity is concerned. What usually takes people three months to do (say, writing a novel) would take me three years.

I'm not really complaining, just trying to figure out how I can nurture this creativity but also focus enough to finish what I started. I'm pretty close to getting this book down, and I need that final push to get me there. By my keyboard and drawing pad and cameras are calling me.

Something's got to give....

Comments

Popular Posts