DONE

Yup you heard me. Second draft (major revision) is done. So tomorrow I can start with the 3rd draft, which would be line edit (* weak in the knees *) Line editing has never been my forte. I know, as a writer, you should always be able to do that. But I find it extremely difficult to line edit your own work, because you really must distance yourself, and treat it as something another person has written. You have to forget that's your "style" and your way of saying things, and look at the mechanics and structures and grammar, etc. objective. It's very difficult to do.

Not to mention no matter how many times you've gone through the ms., there are some mistakes you just will NEVER catch.

I'm not going to stress over that, though. As Scarlett O'Hara so famously said, "Tomorrow is another day."

As it stands, the ms. is now at about 145K. I'm okay with that. I suppose I can cut a few thousand words here and there, but any more cut will, I believe, severely alter the story or plot or decrease its value as far as prose is concerned. Trust me, I already "underwrite." So, the next round of edits is going to be interesting.

I also find it hard to pick out snippets to post as samples. No matter what I do, it seems like I'll be revealing plot, and I don't want to do that. It's like watching movie trailers: I hate it when they give away the plot to the point I can guess what's going to happen. That really sucks. So while I'm very tempted to post some samples, my gut tells me I should hold off. At least until this thing is further polished and ready for my betas.

Comments

Popular Posts