Writer and Editor

When I write, I labor over my words and am painstakingly detailed in my descriptions, dialogue, and narrative. I'm also a very slow writer; there are days when I don't feel like writing anything, and I don't.

Now that I'm done with the first draft of the WIP and started the revision process, I've come to realize that as an editor, I'm quick and decisive. I wielded that virtual red pen like a might sword, and I'm not shy with the trims and cuts. So far, in the last three days, I have eliminated almost 15,000 words from the draft and added fewer than 2000 words. There were scenes that simply didn't work anymore, or plot elements that needed a complete overhaul. Cut, cut, cut. In just a few days, I've excised at least three months worth of writing. If that's not soul-cleansing, I don't know what is.

I'm a deliberate writer but a ruthless editor.

Comments

Popular Posts