Day 31

Epiphany! Don't you just love epiphanies?

I was just finishing up with one scene and getting ready for the immediate next one when I had one of those things called epiphanies. I suddenly realize I had it all wrong. I now have to redo that scene completely but it's going to be 100x better. It's going to be with one fewer character (but something that is pivotal -- he just doesn't know it yet. LOL) and a different circumstance. I get goosebumps just thinking about that.

It's funny how the mind works, and how "getting the stuff down" really is the key here. Without writing that scene and now scrapping it (sounds like a waste, doesn't it?), I wouldn't have had this epiphany which would make the plot much stronger. So the writing itself is not wasted, far from it. I call that the literary Drano™. It helps unclog whatever is in that pipe and get that creative juice flowing again.

---

And that's exactly what I did. I rewrote the whole scene and replaced a character. And then I focused on the relationship between two main characters: father and son. That relationship has always been there, tangled, unresolved. And it's about time that it gets some airtime. However, there is no way I am going to resolve it in just one scene or two. And I believe I must leave it unresolved. That's what literature is about -- nothing is ever nice and neat, is it? Like real life.




1000 words, 14700 words total
334 days and 170800 words to go

Comments

Popular Posts