Day 48

Today is pet peeve day. So let's join the choir and sing.

OK, I know we've all been newbies and we all have plenty of questions, uncertainties, etc. And, at least in theory, there's no such thing as a stupid question. All is good. But some of the questions asked by some of the new writers border on being asinine, approaching the "why's there a cupholder on my PC"-style epic FAIL.

Yes, there are such things as stupid questions!


- How long should a chapter be?

- Should it be "Great," she said or "Great." She said ?

- Is it "lay," "lied," or "laid"?

- Can you have more than one "and" in a sentence?

Etc. etc. etc.

I can tolerate these questions once in a while, but when I see or hear them all the time, I start to wonder if our school system really sucks so bad. Or do people actually read? These questions could easily be answered if these people had actually read a book. And have they ever heard of dictionaries?

I don't know if this grumpiness comes with old age -- and I'm definitely in the old fart category -- or people are getting lazier and lazier.

And if you ask a question like "How long should a chapter be?" don't be surprised if you get a snippy remark, from me, such as "How long is a piece of string?" Your feelings are hurt? Maybe that would do your soul some good.


1400 words, 20500 words total
317 days and 165000 words to go

Comments

Melanie Avila said…
I avoid responding in those threads and just live vicariously through those of you who DO bring out the snippiness. Thank you for that. :)
Ray Wong said…
My favorite Q&A:

Q: How many chapters should a book have?

A: 42.


I'd love it if they really take my advice. *Evil Laugh*
Carpe Diem said…
Why settle for so low?

386 would've been a lot funnier.
Kathy said…
I don't know.

When I was just starting out I, too, asked questions like "How long should a chapter be?"

Popular Posts